Saturday, June 4, 2011

Finding Glimmerglass

What a trip! Second day wasn't quite as easy as expected. I suppose this is all part of getting in shape for the tour. Started out traveling about 10 or so miles to meet up with my sister at her new house in Albany. Riding out with her on the bike I got her in the winter filled me with such pride. Stopped over at Westgate Diner on Central where we had quite the feast of french toast, eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, toast, and homefries. I've never enjoyed my meals quite as much as I have on this trip!

Took 20 west all the way to Glimmerglass State Park near Cooperstown, about 60 miles from Albany. And what a 60 miles it was - rolling hills and head winds the whole way. A few times I shouted out to Lenny "I need a break! I need a break!" Huffing, puffing, bellowing, and scolding. I would like to learn to keep my head up on these long trips. Like Lenny says, "Hey, we're on a bike tour. This is cool!"



The pace was slow and we made plenty of pit stops. In Sharon, NY we had a lovely picnic lunch of avocados, tomatoes, and bagels which we purchased in Albany. Arriving in Cherry Valley, we admired the lush landscape of green meadows and deciduous trees, all enveloped in a hazy afternoon glaze and summer time sunshine. Lenny would comment on the bird sounds while I frowned at the sight of different kinds of road pizza.

Arriving in East Springfield, I told myself again and again "assume at least three more hills." This ended up paying off as a big surprise as the last and final hill was indeed the last and final hill. What a sigh of relief as we rolled into the dinner at the town's four corners and ate ourselves another big feast. Afterwards, had a nice evening ride into Glimmerglass, admiring the sights, the setting sun, and the deer as they welcomed and guided us along the route to our final resting place for the day.



Setting up camp was a breeze and we enjoyed the last few hours talking about our pasts in front of a blazing fire.

1 comment:

  1. oooh yeah. East Springfield, thats where my momma grew up. Good to see you guys rockin out. Did you eat at wieners diner? Mom used to work there. You passed Grandmas house on route 20.

    Anyway, keep it real guys, I am excited. The road... its true freedom, savor it. I'ma thinkin of flyin down to Flagstaff in November and biking back to the eeast then, we'll see.

    But yea, looks like you guys are off to a good start, movin pretty quick I see. Off to Binghamton today? Lenny and I have done the ride before...purdy ride. Say hello to that wonderful place for me. I will check this blog when I can, but I have limited internet access here, so i'll probably be checkin once or twice a week. I am excited for you guys. It will surely be an epic adventure.

    I love you.

    Love,
    Goody

    ReplyDelete