Friday, July 15, 2011

Pipes

The day started at around 8:00 that morning. I was the first out of the tent and noticed the fresh sunlight. It was beautiful. I hung out all my damp clothes and sleeping equipment and enjoyed the sun on my skin. I went to start the oatmeal and watched as the others lazily got out of bed and utilized the sunlight just the same. We talked over breakfast – I told them I wanted to clean my chain since they had both done so yesterday. Not that morning though, maybe that night. We cleaned up pretty good and packed up in time to leave by around 10:30. I had guessed we’d get out then, the others guessed 10:00. They said it was a “motivational” guess.


We rode into town and found a grocery store right off the bat – Jim’s Market. We bought garlic bread, whole wheat bread, sweet potatoes, asparagus, bananas, bars, peanuts, cheese, cheese log, tomatoes, and cherries. We also bought a half gallon of milk to split outside along with some angel food cake. There was also free coffee, which I merrily enjoyed.

Packing away the food, I noticed the cherries were a little spaint. I mentioned that we might want to return them, but the guys disagreed. I continued to complain while packing them away, looking at the ground, while the locals approached us and began talking. One guy above us, who I told about the cherries, said something funny like “Well, if you don’t like them, you have the option not to buy them.” I looked up and noticed I had been complaining about these cherries to the store owner! Very embarrassing. He must have noticed and smiled.

I also enjoyed throwing a few of the really bad cherries at Lee.

We got on the road and our progress was a lot slower today. We had an easterly! Too bad we were heading south that day. We battled that crosswind for 2 hours to only get about 18 miles in. We stopped at an abandoned gas station for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and a few bars. We tossed a few mom jokes around and joked about different brand names and jingles. I was on a jingle spree – must have sung like 10 different songs.

The towns were well spaced apart – about 15 miles each. We stopped at each town along the way. Our next start was Lake Benton. We stopped and had lunch in an abandoned log cabin on the lake. We were all very tired, so we each took a bit of a nap. The clouds began to look pretty ominous and unpacked our rain gear for ready use. I think I must have pissed Lee off who I awoke from his nap only to make him wait while I put on my wool socks.

We left and rode onward to Pipestone. I was getting ahead of the group all day and made a comment to Lenny like “Hey, lets see that pep.” He responded that he wanted to keep a nice even pace. I didn’t really understand – I guess I had been getting ahead all trip and I thought it was because my friends were too slow to keep up. I checked in with him and realized I was accelerating too fast and that we needed to be more predictable riding if we were to make use of the drafting. I didn’t like the idea of having to go gradual, but I was relieved to have the clarity. I told them to let me know to slow down if I went too fast.

We arrived in the town of Pipestone and stopped at a gas station. I was struck by a man named Ray who was standing, in what looked like meditation, behind the counter. I found myself sitting in meditation just after seeing him. I was tired and aching for a sweet. I bought some oreos and used the bathroom. I  began talking to Ray. I noticed he was a Native American and wanted to know something about him. I asked about his life, and he told us about his travels around the country. I asked him about Pipestone, and he told us about the Dakota, the Lakotahs, and the Nakotahs as well as the quarries where they make the peace pipes.

I was intrigued and wanted to learn more when a local walked in and began talking about the oncoming storm. Ray showed us the storm system on his smart phone, and we began to think about a motel for the evening. We hadn’t paid for a place since Algonac, MI, so I wasn’t very happy to be considering a motel. I think Ray noticed this and told us about a cousin he had in Jasper who might be able to set us up. He made a phone call for us and we learned we might have two guest rooms waiting for us. We were very grateful and made ready to head out before the storm really hit.

However, I wanted to see the National Monument where they mined the material for the peace pipe. The guys were worried about the storm. I really wanted to go, so when Lee suggested I could go alone, I immediately said yes and copied down the directions to our hosts for the evening. They weren’t too too happy to leave me behind with the storm loaming, but I was pretty rigid on going. We parted – they heading south, me heading north.

As I entered the monument park, I couldn’t help but shout really loud, a cry of delight and of notice. I was entering federal lands again, a park like the ones I had visited out west with the red roads and the natural landscape surrounding me on all sides. I sat at the Three Maidens. I hiked around the quarries. I saw the stone faces. I hopped the rock gap, proving my bravery. "I am brave enough for you!" I shouted loud enough for all my past romantic partners to hear, like I imagine young Indian boys might upon jumping that gap. I stood in the waters of the Jealous Maiden Waterfall (Winnewasa). I was by myself and I shouted every now and then to hear my own voice and the exhilaration I felt being out there. It was awesome. I grabbed a piece of pipestone and some sumac leaves for smoking later J.





Stone Face


The Gap
Me after crossing the gap






The Oracle

Last bit of Minnesota Prairie



I was worried about it getting too too late and the guys waiting up on me, but I was still able to enjoy a good hour at the park. I met a Native American visitor who told me about some pow wows happening out in Portland. I met another tourist who was doing the ride out in Iowa and was heading down there for the big happening. I rode through the town of Pipestone and saw that the buildings were made of the red stone and I wistfully passed through, wishing we could stay the night there as well.

I rode fast down Hwy 23. I received a call from Lee indicating that we had a place to stay that was nice and had showers. I called up my friend Dallas and told him I had found my destiny – to be a leader of the Indian people. I rode until Jasper and saw the first Wall Drug sign. It was in Minnesota.


The house wasn’t too far from Jasper center, so I found it no problem. I rode up my bike into the open garage and said hi to our marvelous hosts. I took a shower, hung my clothes to dry, and offered some bananas while eating one myself. Our host, named Darwin, had built the house we were standing in himself. I marveled at the Pipestone furnace and the beautiful porch. The quote on the wall was really appropriate for me – it said that life isn’t about waiting out the storms, it’s about dancing in the rain. I knew I was with good people when I saw that quote.

We worked on cooking up the rest of the venison sausage we had on the porch grill while chatting about different things. I was pretty tired and ready for sleep, but we still had to eat. Darwin and his wife offered us Doritos and we enjoyed their condiments and hospitality and even a beer each. I considered watching a movie from their DVD collection, which was expansive, but realized I was really tired and needed to sleep. I also cooked up the sweet potatoes so we could enjoy them the next morning.

Such luck, we would be shown around the shop the next morning as well. Thank you Darwin and Christine.

No comments:

Post a Comment